Pesco-vegetarianism (Pescatarian) is one of the varieties of a vegetarian diet, more precisely – semi-vegetarianism. It allows you to eat fish and seafood, which are a rich source of omega acids and vitamins.
Pesco-vegetarianism is – next to polo-vegetarianism – one of the two varieties of the semi-vegetarian diet. Pesco-vegetarianism means giving up poultry and red meat, but it allows you to eat fish and seafood.
What is a Pesco Vegetarian?
Pesco-vegetarianism, also called Ichthyvegetarianism, Pescatarianism, is a variant of the vegetarian diet understood as semi-vegetarianism.
It allows you to eat eggs, honey, milk, and its products, as well as lard and gelatin. However, it implies the resignation of eating red meat (pork, beef, lamb, venison, goat, veal) and poultry meat.
Pesco-vegetarianism is a good choice for reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease, which is largely due to excessive consumption of red meat, without completely sacrificing the benefits of meat consumption.
The more fish meat is rich in valuable omega 3 fatty acids. In addition to fish and seafood, pescatarians eat large amounts of vegetables and fruits.
A well-balanced Pesco-Vegetarian diet is considered very healthy. The same goes for flexitarianism, which admits eating meat, but only in exceptional circumstances.
Why is Pescatarian healthy?
There are many benefits to giving up eating all types of meat, except fish and seafood:
- protects against anemia, the effects of stress and weakness,
- ensures a youthful appearance of the skin (thanks to vitamin E),
- supports the nervous system and the work of the thyroid hormones (due to the iodine content),
- takes care of bones and teeth and supports immunity (vitamin D),
- thanks to healthy fats, it helps to maintain a normal cholesterol level,
- helps to eliminate toxins from the body,
- reduces the risk of many diseases of civilization (which increases the excessive consumption of red meat).
However, the Pesco-Vegetarian diet is not for everyone. If you don’t like the taste and smell of fish or are even allergic to certain species of seafood, you will have to abandon this type of vegetarian diet.
Also, if you are allergic to gluten or lactose, many products will be removed from the menu. Pesco-vegetarianism can be a way to achieve a lean and healthy figure, but it’s hard to think of it as a weight loss diet. Instead, you can find diet programs or a diet that follows the principles of Pesco-Vegetarianism. By sticking to the calorie limit, you can lose weight in a healthy way.